• question-icon

What causes vomiting followed by diarrhea in an elderly woman?

Posted on Fri, 3 Jun 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi,
I am a 57 year old woman in good overall health. I recently experienced a bout with what I believe to be was some food poisoning. The first six hours I vomited over ten times followed quickly by diarrhea. It has now been more than 48 hours but the diarrhea continues at about two hour intervals. The diarrhea is watery, foul smelling and almost black. I have been drinking water and I have been able to eat a little mild food & kept it down but everything seems to pass right through me. I have tried "Kaopectate" but to no avail. My question to you is if these symptoms are considered in the normal realm? This all started about 11:00 pm Thursday night. It is now Sunday 8:00 am. Any light you can shed would be most appreciated.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Probably caused b Giardiasis!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about these symptoms that you have reported. This is suggestive of a protozoan infection. You need an antibiotic for this. I would normally prescribe metronidazole or tinidazole. Talk to your doctor and get this going. You should normally feel better within 3-5days.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be. Above all, thanks for using our services.
Dr. Ivo Ditah