What causes vomiting, diarrhoea and low grade fever?

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Wed, 29 Apr 2015 in General Health
Question: I need advice about going in or waiting it out. Since Monday afternoon (2:30PM) I have had a GI bug. It is going around the hospital I work in. Vomiting, Diarrhea, Low grade fever, etc. It mostly resolved by Tuesday morning, with some residual stomach upsetness and "bleh" feeling. I awoke this morning and took my temperature, it was 100.1. This seems high to me, as I usually rest around 96.5. My BP was 180/118. I took my BP medicine and laid back down. I checked it an hour later and it was 150/110. Still high, even though it does tend to run slighly high, even on the meds.

The other concerning thing is a persistent headache and sore neck on the back top right part of my neck. This was worrying me, though my boyfriend pointed out it could just be due to all the previous vomiting.

So, my stomach is still not great. My diarrhea is better but not gone. My main concerns are the persistent low-grade fever, headache and neck pain. Do I go to the ER? Or Urgent Care? Could this just be resolving from the GI bug?
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
There is no need for an ER visit at this time! Continue home care!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about these symptoms that you have reported. I have reviewed your information fully and there is just no reason to go to the ER at this time. You are almost completely well and your symptoms would resolve sooner than later. I recommend that you add tylenol to your medications 3-4times a day to address the fever and muscle aches that you have. Healthy diet, regular exercise and increased fruits and vegetables consumption would prove helpful. Also, increase fluids intake so as to compensate for any losses in the stools.

In all, no need for ER. Rest, fruits, vegetables, increased fluid intake and tylenol would do it all. I will suggest you talk to your doctor when fully recovered about adjusting your BP medications to achieve values less than 140/90mmHg so as to prevent possible longterm complications.

I hope this addresses your query fully. I wish you well. Thanks for using our services and feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.