What causes vomiting and loose motion?

Posted on Sat, 6 Jun 2015 in Child Health
Question: I am having loose motion and vomiting. Whatever i am eating its not getting digested.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please be patient. It is not unusual

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through the details provided by you. In most cases, loose motions along with vomiting is caused due either due to gastroenteritis or due to certain viruses where antibiotics are ineffective. You need take ORS (Oral Rehydration Solution) to replenish the lost water and salts as the mainstay of treatment. It is not supposed to bring down the frequency of passage of loose stools. But it will prevent you from becoming dehydrated and lethargic, I would not get concerned. It may still take 3-7 days (from the onset) to stop. During such a period it is usual for the digestion not to be quite effective. Do not worry - you have to keep eating well so that your body can eventually recover. Soon things would be fine.

Hope that helps.

Dr. Diptanshu Das
Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician