What causes vomiting after taking Doxy for lyme disease?

Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha

Nephrologist

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in General Health
Question: I was recently diagnosed and blood test confirmed with Lyme disease and on my first antibiotic treatment of Doxy 45 min to 60 minutes after taking I have severe vomiting for about 30 min then im good..after first vomiting i have no vocal can hardly talk could i have hrt my cords or torn them there is blood tinge in vomit which is just water with just touch of blood
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Gastritis

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for the query

Doxy is notorious for causing gastritis, the blood streaked vomit could be because of the forceful vomitus causing superficial micro abrasion.
It is unusual for the vocal cords to tear because of the vomiting as it lies in a completely different track for the body ,the loss of voice is usually because of the pharyngeal involvement while vomiting and it usually improves in 2-3.

Here is what I suggest

1. Tab Omeprazole once before food for 5 days. Best drug would be omeprazole with domperidone combination however that might require a prescription
2. Follow a bland diet
3. Avoid caffeine, milk and milk products
4. Avoid smoking and alcohol

If the symptoms persists please approach your doctor for examination and alternative antibiotic to doxy as you are not tolerating it

I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me