What causes vomiting after head trauma?

Dr. Shailja Puri

Pathologist and Microbiologist

Posted on Sat, 2 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: My son 1yr 8months,he fell down back from chair and got hurt in his head.but no injuries,while he was crying he vomitted once.After few minutes he is normal and playing as usual. Had some snack. is there anything to be worried because he vomitted once?
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
CT scan of head should be done.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting your query on HealthcareMagic.

Trauma to head should ideally be followed by CT scan of head.
A history of vomiting after head trauma is suspicious.
A CT scan of head should be done to rule out any internal injury to brain.

Consult your primary healthcare provider for a clinical assessment and prescription of CT scan.
The vomiting can be unrelated to head trauma ,however, it is important to rule out any traumatic lesion to the brain tissue.

If you have more queries, I will be glad to answer.
Dr Shailja P Wahal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T