question-icon

What causes vomiting after falling from bed in sleep?

Posted on Fri, 11 Jul 2014
Question: my 4 year son fell down from bed after he vomitted one time then fall asleep is this any problem
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari (26 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
There is no cause for concern

Detailed Answer:
Namsthe
Welcome to Healthcare-Magic
Greetings of the day

Dear XXXX

One or two episodes of vomiting is quite common in any degree of Pediatric Head injury. As the height of fall is less, its unlikely to have resulted in any intracranial injury.

As the child is comfortably sleeping allow him to sleep. Look for following signs, if you notice any kindly consult Pediatric Surgeon

1. Repeated vomiting
2. The child looks dull/lethargic and not interested in surrounding
3. Abnormal movements of body: Presence of jerky movements of limbs known as convulsion
4. Refusal to eat/drink
5. Day time drowsiness

I see many such children in my OPD, when there is no obvious external injury, child is playing , eating well , I safely send the babies home with parents.
Giving sugarcane juice is quite beneficial.

Do get back to me if you need any further assistance, will be glad to assist you.

Take Care

Best Regards
DR Deepak Kishore
MBBS,MS,MCh
Consultant Pediatric Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari

General Surgeon