What causes vomiting after eating and drowsiness along with joints pain?

Posted on Tue, 9 Jun 2015 in General Health
Question: my boyfriend has been sick for weeks, vomits after eating, just wants to sleep, has no short term memory, and has joint pain. he will not go to the doctors because he has no insurance.
Answered by Dr. Swarnava Dattagupta 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
give healthy food, exercise and medicine as advised

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Welcome to HCM.
This is Dr. Swarnava Dattagupta answering your query.

I understand your concern.
First of all, your boyfriend is 66 years old and in this age, mild problems with memory is not uncommon. And the memory problems start with decrease in recent or short term memories. Also joint pain and vomiting should also be taken care of. I have a few questions like since when is he having these symptoms and which joints ate involved. Whether he has high blood sugar or high pressure also are my concern. Kindly answer all these so that i can help you further. For now i would suggest you the following-

Firstly, give him healthy balanced diet with lots of vegetables and fruits and less fat.
Do some exercise if possible. This will enhance metabolism.
Give him tablet pantoprazole-domperidone before breakfast for 10days.
Give tablet donepezil for 3months. This will help him recover memory loss.
Give him multivitamins for a month.
I would also suggest an orthopedic examination for joint pain and an MRI brain to rule out other causes of memory loss except from age related. Otherwise you can give him painkillers for joint pain.

Hope this was useful.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Swarnava Dattagupta 39 hours later
He does have high blood sugar as well as high pressure, this has been going on for nearly a month. Joint pain is in his arms and legs, arthritis? ?
Answered by Dr. Swarnava Dattagupta 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Get him checked for blood sugar and pressure; do the following

Detailed Answer:
Hello again.

If he has got high blood sugar and pressure and yet not controlled, you should take him to a doctor and get checked. Also get a fasting and post-prandial blood dugar done. Then appropriate drugs can be given to control his blood sugar and pressure.
For the joint pain, yes osteoarthritis is an option considering his age. Also if multiple joints are involved, a blood test for uric acid and RA factor should be done. Those can rule out gout and rheumatoid arthritis respectively.

Hope this was helpful.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Pradeep Vitta
Dr. Swarnava Dattagupta