What causes vomiting, abdominal cramps and diarrhea?

Posted on Fri, 14 Apr 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Went to min clinic yesterday for throwing up and got ondansetron. Havent thrown up since yesterday 2 pm but now have cramps and diahrea. Whats next? Took pepto
Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please see the detailed answer below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello! I have been through your question.

Related your concern I think this is gastroenteritis ( viral or bacterial).
In your case I suggest to drink a lot of water, natural tea, should use tresol, probiotics and continue to use ondasetron and pepto if you have again nausea and vomiting.
During this time you should monitoring your blood presure, fever and frequency of urination and should stop drinking milk , sparkling drinks and fatty foods.
You should eat toasted breads, cheese, yogurt and banana.
If this situation last more than 3 days and you have a low blood pressure and decrease of urination frequency you should meet an Infectious diseases specialist for further evaluation.

I hope my answer helps you. Feel free to ask me further.
Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Monika Dede 20 hours later
This all started on sunday. I feel better today but still have had diarrea twice today and woke up flushed and warm. Had toast and a banana and some coke. The food is going up my throat and i have to swallow it back down but i dont have the urge to actually throw up. Took the ondasetron late last night, none today. No meds at all today. Should i go to the dr again
Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
yes, you should meet an Infectious diseases specialist.

Detailed Answer:
Hello! Thank you writing back in healthcaremagic. I am sorry for my late response.

Based on that your situation that last more than 3 days I suggest to do a physical examination by an Infectious Diseases Specialist and to do CBC, parasite stool test, culture stool test, azotemi/creatinemia, elecrtolytes, abdominal ultrasound in order to define better the diagnosis and to start a prompt treatment ( usually I prescribe ciprofloxacin).
During this time you should continue to drink a lot of water, natural tea, and to use tresol and probiotics.

I hope my answer helps you.
I wish you a quick recovery.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Monika Dede

Infectious Diseases Specialist