What causes volume fluctuations in the hearing aid?

Dr. Raju A.T

Posted on Wed, 1 Jun 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I am an adult male 66 yo. Have hearing loss, dyslexic and wear hearing aids. from time to time for no aparent reason the volume at which I hear changes usually increases for example when driving and listing to the radio it seems as if some cranks the volume up and after a little bit half to a minute and a half it seems to float back down and with in a few minutes it reoccurs the can go on for 5 - 20 min. I have had this occur with 4 different sets of hearing aids over the past 10 mouths. The first three have been returned to the manufacturer for repair but when asked what was the matter the tech always says that they have no idea what they done to fix them and the same thing soon reoccurs.
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
get it examined by a ENT specialist

Detailed Answer:

I would suggest you once take your hearing aid and get tested by an ENT specialist.

They may conduct audiometry tests and identify whether the problem is with the ear of the machine.

Please get back to me once the audiometry test has done, please do share the report here.

Wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later
Do you not have an ENT specialist to submit this question to? I would like to know what their thinking is on this matter. I understand that it will ultimately have to be diagnosed in person, but I would like to know a bit more about this and be better informed as to what may be or not going on with my situation. You haven't told me any thing new I had all ready figured this much out only to be told to consult a dentist. I get that connection but it is not like a case of TMJ or a grinding joint problem. it is more akin to a stopped up ear or water or pressure behind the ear drum that changes from time to time. I can manipulate my ear / jaw / area surrounding the ear / throat area and change the physical dynamics and change what I hear or don't hear.
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
Consultation

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing back.

I completely agree with you, as I didn't tell something you do not know.

This problem could be due to numerous factors which can be narrowed down to one only after examination and audiometry. Any sort of doubtful opinions can land you into fear and confusion.Hence, I suggested you to consult an ENT first.

You can still post a query to a specialist in our website but have to start a new thread.

Wish you good health.