What causes vitamin D deficiency?

Dr. Shoaib Khan

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: My son has been diagnosed with vit d def today. He has autism, bipolar disorder and catatonia. He is on risperidone, lorazepam and lamotrigine - more recently carbamazepine . Have the drugs caused this? Despite his problems he has a very healthy diet.
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Not caused due to the medications sir/ma'am

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help.

None of these medications can result in a vitamin D deficiency sir/ma'am. Other than a few dermatological side effects like pruritis or a rash, these medications do not really affect the skin or its ability to help in the formation of vitamin D. The deficiency found in your son was most probably due to a lack of exposure to sunlight or a dietary deficiency.

Please make sure he is exposed directly to sunlight for a duration of at least 5-10 minutes a day. Please also speak to his doctor for either a dietary supplement or weekly injections of vitamin D if his levels are extremely low. You could also write back to me with his vitamin D levels if you wish me to guide you further, but you would require a prescription from his doctor for the medications either way sir/ma'am.

I hope you find my response helpful. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you.

Best wishes.
Follow up: Dr. Shoaib Khan 6 minutes later
His level is 28.
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not too low levels, expose to sun and good diet

Detailed Answer:
Hello once again.

Thank you for that information.

Your son's vitamin D levels are close to border-line. This means we can simply treat it with dietary changes and adequate exposure to sunlight. But as he is a chils, we could also add some vitamin D supplements in the form of tablets. But I would prefer leaving this decision to your sons doctor as he/she would be the best judge about whether or not we need to add more tablets to his already elaborate treatment regimen.

I hope you find my response helpful sir. Do not worry about the vitamin D deficiency sir, it shall soon be resolved. My prayers are with your son.

Best wishes.