question-icon

What causes visual impairment along with headaches and speech impairment?

Posted on Tue, 26 May 2015
Question: I have myoclonic seizures and previously had an abnormal eeg. I am awaiting results on a longer eeg study. What causes visual imparement, headaches, often accompanied by speech imparement and myoclonic seizures (almost always left sided)?
Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal (19 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
there are many causes

Detailed Answer:
Hi
I am Dr Mittal.
I have read your query.
I think I would be able to help you.
The fact remains that myoclonus cam happen XXXXXXX to many reasons.
Most commonly there is a structural brain lesion that leads to the one sided myoclonus.
I would have in fact suggested a few scan for you, preferably an Mri scan Of the brain.
other causes include medical causes like metabolic factors or toxic factors. But these usually are not specific to one side.
I have tried to make it as simple as possible. I hope that the information helps you. Please feel free to contact us for more information. Best of luck. Dr Mittal.
Follow up: Dr. Saumya Mittal (26 minutes later)
Thank you for your follow up. Would a structural lesion(s) always be seen on an MRI. I ask because I have indeed had MRI's both with and without contrast. I had one physician state it was possible that I may have MS which my older brother has as well. However, another nerologist did not mention a lesion(s). If indeed this is the case, would a PET scan be able to give a better diaganosis?
Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal (12 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
PET is not needed

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for your response.
No, MRI does not always show a change.
However, I wont suggest a PET.
Chief reason is that even if the PET shows a lesion, the medicines will usually have to continue.
I hope that this helps.
Best of luck.
Dr Mittal
Dr. Saumya Mittal

Diabetologist