What causes visible veins on the breast?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 29 Nov 2016 in Lump
Question: 24 yr old female , my veins on left breast are really visible , around the nipple and everything .. Having some pain and pain in left arm aswell at elbow and pain upper left back dont know if this is unrelated , also had a dry patch of skin between breasts but thats disapeared , i am terrified i have breast cancer ?
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
as explained in details.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Noted the history about a 24 year old female having visible veins on left breast - around the nipple and everything - some pain - pain in left arm, elbow, upper left back - had a patch of dry patch of skin between breasts that has disappeared - terrified about breast cancer ...

I can understand your concerns very well.
It looks there are two issues:
1. visible veins on the left breast:
The commonest causes are:
- Idiopathic phlebothrombosis or thrombophlebitis occurs most commonly on chest/breast, behind knee joints. This can be diagnosed by clinical evaluation and examination, is a self-limiting disorder needing no special treatment as the cause is obscure and the treatment is empirical.
- Underlying pathology like any tumor which can be benign or malignant. This can be diagnosed by:
Clinical examination of the breasts, axillae.
Mammography
Ultrasound/ MRI of the breasts
If suspected to have a lump then guided FNAC- fine needle aspiration cytology and excision biopsy to prove the cause.

Another issue of pain in the left arm, elbow and left upper back is most probably related to the cervical spine/ muscle problems and needs the following:
Clinical evaluation
MRI of the neck for spine and muscles.

I hope this answer helps you for an early and proper diagnosis and the management according to the findings.

Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 9 minutes later
So do you think it could be breast cancer causing these symptoms i also feel itchy aswell but i am scared ive got breast cancer thats spread to my arms
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Age of 24: to rare to have cancer

Detailed Answer:
I can understand your concerns and anxiety.
The more the anxiety and stress, the more important is to go for the diagnostic procedures as explained above. The medical field depends upon the facts and once you are worried about cancer it is imperative to go for immediate evaluation as discussed above.

I hope you understand the importance as I have tried to explain.
As far as your age of 24 is concerned, the chances of this to be cancer are very very remote and rare.

So do not be scared of cancer at the moment, this looks to be a benign problem unless proved otherwise.

Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 36 hours later
Hi so i went to my gp and she done a breast examination said everything looked fine and that both breasts had visible veins , i also suffer from health anxiety so i always worried , do you think arm pain is breast cancer that has spread to arms ? I had a alkaline phosphatase test to check my bones and it was 60 so its normal , and my calcium was normal aswell please help thanks again
Brief Answer:
Breast cancer does not spread to arms

Detailed Answer:
As explained above, the pains can be related to cervical spine or muscles and since your GP has already checked you, you may stop worrying unnecessarily.
Has She asked for Mammography and Ultrasound of the breasts?