What causes visible veins in arm with history of brachial vein graft?

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
My son had a supracondylar fracture, which subsequently led to a brachial vein graft 3 years ago. All looks good, good radial pulse, although slightly weaker than the other, however, I am noticing a prominance of the cephalic and basilic veins (dark blue, I can see these,) where this isn't the case in the other arm, could this be a sign that the graft went down (no longer working), an obstruction, or a variance of normal, just not sure what to think -- thanks in advance
Posted Tue, 12 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It is nothing to be worried about

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir,
It is nothing to be worried about as most probably it is neovascularisation, which is body's attempt to improve healing. Vein are prominent because of this only. I would recommend you to get a Doppler test and confirm this.
Also feeble pulses is not to be worried till limb is warm and pink.
I hope this answer will help you. Let me know if you want to ask any further question.
Thanks.