What causes visible veins in arm with history of brachial vein graft?

Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Tue, 12 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: My son had a supracondylar fracture, which subsequently led to a brachial vein graft 3 years ago. All looks good, good radial pulse, although slightly weaker than the other, however, I am noticing a prominance of the cephalic and basilic veins (dark blue, I can see these,) where this isn't the case in the other arm, could this be a sign that the graft went down (no longer working), an obstruction, or a variance of normal, just not sure what to think -- thanks in advance
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It is nothing to be worried about

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir,
It is nothing to be worried about as most probably it is neovascularisation, which is body's attempt to improve healing. Vein are prominent because of this only. I would recommend you to get a Doppler test and confirm this.
Also feeble pulses is not to be worried till limb is warm and pink.
I hope this answer will help you. Let me know if you want to ask any further question.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj