What causes violent and scary nightmares?

Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe

Psychiatrist

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in Mental Health
Question: Hi Doctor,
I have nightmares most nights. They are always violent and scary. What causes nightmares?
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consultation

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and thanks for your question.

Scientists do not know what causes nightmares. Some speculate they come from anxieties that the brain is processing while we sleep. Others feel they are largely random. However, we do have a medication that has been proven to reduce nightmares -- prazosin. I would talk with your doctor about prescribing this medication for you.

Please remember to rate and close this answer thread when you are finished and satisfied.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 27 minutes later
Hi Doctor,
Since my son killed himself because he had Bi polar and kept getting arrested, he refused to get medical treatment. He died in 2011. It spent two or three years grieving and hide at home with depression. My doctor gave me pills for depression and that helped. But I am very health for a woman at it 83 so I don't have any problems with my health. But the nightmares continue. I grew up with a very large family but they are all dead. I have lost two children, one from an accident when he was 18 and the other I told you about. When I visit my son, the only one left, I don't have nightmares and I am not nervous but when I am home with my husband I have nightmares and I am nervous when I leave the house.
Thanks, Merry Powers
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 0 minute later
Brief Answer:
Followup

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for this information. I would consider going back on an antidepressant medication, that might help with nightmares. I would also still recommend prazosin for reducing nightmares, I really think this would help you.