• question-icon

What causes vibrations in brain followed by dizziness?

Posted on Wed, 25 May 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: Im currently having, what I can only describe as a "brain jolt" every couple of minutes it feels like my brain is vibrating and its followed by lightheadness.
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Psychological origin more probable.

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

Fortunately that description you make does not correspond to any threatening brain lesion. The human brain in itself does not have sensation, doesn't feel any pain or vibration (when we have headache it is because of the involvement of the vessels and meninges which are sensitive). So those symptoms are not related to any brain condition which usually manifest with other symptoms (persistent headache, nausea, weakness of the limbs on one side, loss of sensation on one side, double vision, vision loss, balance and coordination issues, seizures etc).

I believe the sensations you describe to be most probably due to stress and anxiety, such symptoms such as brain zap, jolts etc are common in anxiety but are not indicative of anything serious. Apart from stress use or withdrawal from medication acting on central nervous system may also be associated with such symptoms (I am mentioning it as I saw you have used tramadol in the past)

Let me know if I can further assist you.
Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist