• question-icon

What causes vibration sensation in the head while on Ativan?

Posted on Mon, 24 Jul 2017 in Mental Health
Question: I currently am taking Ativan, and have been for almost two months. I take 2.5mg daily. 1mg at 9:30am, 1mg at 4:30pm and .5 at 11:30pm. And sometimes I get these weird "Brain Zaps," that feel like a very heavy vibration in my head. And it make sure me feel dizzy and it'll go away, but it makes me anxious afterwards. I'm worried about what it means. I don't want to have a seizure or aneurism or something.
And I don't want to go through withdrawals. Any help I would appreciate.
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
These are not due to withdrawal

Detailed Answer:
Hello thanks for asking from HCM

The electric or brain zap like symptoms could be occurring due to the medicine itself. These are not related to withdrawal. So yes these are not due to withdrawal.

Thanks and Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 26 minutes later
Are they indicative of a seizure or something to be concerned with? Afterwards i feel like i have a weird compression headache, and am a bit dizzy. So you think its from the medicine and not something serious?
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Seizures are seen in withdrawal

Detailed Answer:
Hello thanks for asking

No right now they are not indicative of seizures. But regular intake of the Ativan and then abrupt stoppage is known to precipitate the seizures. Seizures are seen in withdrawal of the drug.

Headache, dizziness etc are known and common side effects of Ativan.

Yes these are due to medicine and I don't think these are serious.

Thanks
Follow up: Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 53 minutes later
How common are seizures being tapered off of Ativan by your doctor ?
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Abrupt cessation of drug is known to precipitate seizures.

Detailed Answer:
Hello thanks for asking again

If tapered gradually by progressive dose reduction over 6-10 weeks then the risk of seizures is very very low. But yes abrupt cessation of medicine after regular and prolonged intake is known to precipitate the seizures. I couldn't point out exact incidence but a lot of patients in withdrawal develop seizures if no tapering of doses is done.

Thanks
Follow up: Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 37 hours later
Can ativan cause water retention? Or anything like that? Or mess with my heart? I have a heart condition called Ectopic atrial tachycardia. And i take flecainide acetate and bisoporol hctz for it.

My heart doctor cleared me to take the ativan, but i worry anyways. I worry about it messing up my heart rhythm or blood pressure dropping significantly.
Ive taken it for two months about now at 2.5mg a day .
Brief Answer:
Ativan is safe to use in heart condition

Detailed Answer:
Hello again

Ativan is safe and will not cause any issues in heart, no need to worry about that. This will not mess with your heart. At the dose you are taking the drug will not cause any water retention or edema.

You can take it without any worries.

Thanks and Take care

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist