What causes vibrating sensations in the groin area?

Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: What is the cause of "fluttering" or vibration in the groin area?
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Read below.

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

There can be several causes to the vibration sensation you describe.

One possible cause is a mild muscle strain in the area.

A compression of a peripheral nerve supplying that area is another common cause. It can be due to arthritic changes leading to compression or irritation of the nerve. Another cause of nerve damage would be also damage of the nerve from diabetes or nutritional deficiencies like that of vitamin B12.

Electrolyte alterations, especially calcium, magnesium or potassium can at times be manifested with such symptoms.

Another not so uncommon cause could also simply be anxiety.

So I believe you should give it a few days if it is something of a recent onset, it is not indicative of a threatening issue and if due to a muscle strain of anxiety it might improve spontaneously. If it has been going on for a long time, or persists in the next weeks then some routine blood tests would be the next step to screen for causes of nerve damage, tests like blood count, glucose, liver and kidney function, electrolyte panel, vitamin B12 level, thyroid function. In case those tests show no evident cause an imaging exam of the spine and pelvic area may be considered.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.