What causes vertigo?

Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale

Posted on Thu, 14 Apr 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: What is the cause of Vertigo?
Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Internal ear problems, injury, brain problems,side effect of some medicines

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for the query through Health care magic virtual clinic.I have read your query & understand your concern.
Vertigo is sensation of spinning. The spinning of the person himself or spinning of the world around.
To summarize- the causes of of vertigo.are-
1) Inner ear sends signals to brain about body changes related to gravity.. which help in maintaining steady body posture/ balance.Mostly vertigo is caused by internal ear problems. they are-
- BPPV- ( begnine Paroxysmal positional vertigo. The cause for this condition is collection of calcium particles forming clumps in canals of internal ear.
The condition is due to unknown cause. Mostly age related.
- Menieres Syndrome- In this condition there is fluid built up in internal ear, thus causes change in pressure & vertigo.
It can be associated with ringing in ear ( tinnitus ) or hearing loss.
- Vestibular neuritis/ labyrinthitis- This condition is caused by infection of internal ear.. usually viral. The infection leads to inflammation of internal ear.. involves nerves which are responsible in maintenance of balance.
2) some times vertigo can be caused by following causes.They are-
- Injury to head / neck
-Brain tumor/ stroke
- Migraine head ache
- Certain medications can cause vertigo.. Some of them are-
Antibiotics like Aminoglycocides Gentamycine ,Cholistimethate /Bretilium Tosylate( used to control cardiac arrythemia )/ Capriomycine sulphate( used in treatment of tuberculosis)/Dwzocine ( For control of pain )/ Digoxin( heart problems )/ dulcolax( purgative )
* Psychological stress following digestive disturbances/ constipation can lead to dizziness.. which can be mistaken for vertigo. That's why you had relief with probiotics/ fibers.
In such condition, a gastroenterologist/ ENT specialist would differentiate the cause & help you.
I hope the answer was informative & useful to you. Any follow up query is welcome.
In case you fond it useful.. I request to grade the answer before you close
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak