• question-icon

What causes vertigo while on Meclizine?

Posted on Sun, 30 Jul 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: The first question is for my 84 year old mother. My mother occasionally gets bouts of Vertigo, which her doctor prescribed Meclizine (over the counter). This helps her greatly, and prevents a more serious episode. She has been taking it since Monday, can she continue to take it until her symptoms dissipate or is there time limit to taking it.

The second question is for me and I am 52 years old. Can I take the following supplement "Skin Care Collagen Filler"? Do not currently take any prescription medications.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Likely to be due to degenerative changes of the hearing apparatus

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone through your query and understand your concerns. Your mother could be having sensorineural degradation of her hearing apparatus. The organ of hearing lies in our inner ear (vestibulocochlear apparatus) can also be associated with the sense of balance. Certain viral infections can give rise to such presentations as you have described but at advanced age like hers, degenerative changes are more likely. I would insist you to get an audiometry done. It will possibly point to the underlying cause. Meclizine is an over the counter medication that can help. Vestibulocochlear stabilizing agents like cinnarizine or betahistine might be needed but since these are prescription medicines you might need to visit a doctor to get these prescribed. You also need to give her plenty of water and fluids to drink.

You can take "Skin Care Collagen Filler" but please bear in mind that the benefits are not proven and chances are that it has no actual benefits.

Let me know if I could help further.

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha