What causes vertigo while on Clonazepam and Lexapro?

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Sat, 27 Aug 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: 31yo female, has Anxiety and takes Lexapro and Clonazepam. She gets bad Vertigo at times when she feels highly stressed. Has had an MRI and went to an Neurologist and ENT. Was told that there was nothing that can be done. Any suggestions?
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Suggestions listed below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

Dizziness, vertigo, are possible side effects of both, Lexapro and Clonazepam use.

If the episodes last only few seconds, and vertigo is triggered by head position or movement it is probably benign paroxysmal positional vertigo.

If vertigo lasts longer, Ménière's disease should be taken in consideration.

Stress can precipitate these episodes so, correct control of stress is necessary to prevent them.

Counseling and probably change of drugs can be used for this purpose.

In my opinion, an antidepressant can be used ( duloxetine for example ).

It is necessary to upload the MRI results in order to understand better the patient's condition.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Greetings.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj