What causes vertigo spell?

Dr. Prahlad Duggal

ENT Specialist

Posted on Thu, 24 Apr 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I had vertigo spell when I woke up one morning in November of last year and till this day I have the sensation that I am Moving when I am still. I have been to 5, ent, who say it's not an inner ear problem they sent me to neurology, one says I have bppv and another said I had vertigo. Nothing spins on me, I get the sensation that I am moving, rocking while standing still. All mri and mra of head and brain and neck are normal. I dis accupuncture that helped a little but I still have it, now I am going to a cheipractor neurology and said that my left side of the cerebellum us weak and that's the reason for my off balance sensation... He did the epley and he said I do not have bppv or inner ear problem. It's been 5 months, what can this be, all bloodwork is normal. I am taking b2 and magnesium oxide as per 1 neurology who keeps wants to see me in 3 weeks. What are these vitamins good for? I have no headache just this odds sensation that I am moving when I stand still, unsteady in my feet.
Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Adaptation exercises have some role Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. The problem of vertigo can be because of various causes and ear related causes are common but as you have stated that your ENT have told you the your problem is not related to ear. Please attach your ear related work up. If the ear related work up plus yours scans are normal, which can be a case not very uncommonly, adaptation exercises help. You can ask your doctor regarding the adaptation exercises for vertigo. These help in your body getting trained to the vertigo and help in compensating early and better. B complex vitamins are used empirically but along with that lot of other drugs like Betahistine and labrynthine sedatives are used for such conditions. You can discus with your doctor about these. Feel free to ask another query. Regards
Follow up: Dr. Prahlad Duggal 2 hours later
will a chiropractor help? I went for vestibular therapy consultation and she said she can't help me because its not vestibular related. the chiropractor is telling me that my left side of the cerebellum is weak? and he is doing neuro rehab? i need this feeling to go away… its pretty annoying and scary at the same time.
Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 2 hours later
Brief Answer: should not be any harm Detailed Answer: Thanks for the query. I am not an expert in chiropractic care, so would not like to comment on that issue but if your chiropractor is telling that one half of cerebellum is weak, then it is all the more important to know that slowly the body adapts on its own in such a condition. Otherwise I do not think that there is going to be any harm in getting chiropractor care, it may not improve but it will not worsen the things. Feel free to ask another query. Regards