• question-icon

What causes vertigo, headache, leg weakness, belching, blurred vision, excessive sleepiness and tiredness?

Posted on Mon, 24 Jul 2017 in Headache and Migraines
Question: My 64yr old father had open heart surgery on May 18th to replace a aortic valve...since surgery he has had many set backs. First was a mild stroke and now he is having debilitating episodes of sudden on set of vertigo, headache, weakness, many times losses control of legs and cant stand on his own, nausea and blurred vision at times with these episodes. Makes him very sleepy once he is helped to chair/bed he is asleep immediately cant stay awake. Once he is awake feels extreme tiredness/weakness "washed out" for the rest of day. Having 1 to 3 episodes daily and some are "bad" and some not so "bad" as he describes. Also having continous belching with episodes...and EEG and CT scan of head negative. Family is at a loss once a healthy young man working full time and very active now each day is uncertain.
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Multiple TIA-s to consider.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

Episodes of symptoms you describe may be multiple TIA-s ( transient ischemic attacks ), more exactly of the posterior brain circulation.

A brain MRI/MRA, transesophageal ultrasound and evaluation by your father's Neurologist are necessary to evaluate correctly this possibility.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical