question-icon

What causes vertigo during antidepressant treatment?

Posted on Wed, 25 Nov 2015
Question: Hi Doc I am XXXX in Australia, I have been taking the medications below for a few weeks now and welcome the relief from pain, sleeplessness and skin irritations that plague my brain. I am not working but would like to increase my mental capacities as I feel I am not quite in the moment and I am now quite forgetful. (see spelling and talking difficulties) I have a rolling sense of falling or vertigo I guess and I wonder if the combination of these drugs is bringing me to a downward irriversable spiral ,Any suggestions as I visit My doctor tomorrow and I am not sure He knows of the potency of these drugs or whether I will get over it
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar (41 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Mostly it is time limited side effect

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I read your query and understand your concerns. First of all I must inform you that rolling sensation/vertigo is side effect of most of tricyclic antidepressants including doxepin.
Secondly it is generally time limited side effects and most of the persons who take it come out of it in few weeks. I must tell you that if you are taking doxepin only for few weeks, you need to wait and watch for few more weeks till this side effect disappear.

In case your doxepin intake is more than two months I will advice you to lower the dose of doxepin to 12.5 mg after discussing with your doctor.

Your dose of pregabalin is quite low and unlikely to cause any serious side effects at this level.

I hope this assists you.
If you have more questions feel free to write back to me.
Thanks and regards
Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist