What causes ventriculomegaly?

Dr. Ajay Panwar

Neurologist

Posted on Sat, 11 Mar 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: Is there any particular reason for ventriculomegaly? How can this be prevented?can this be prevented by taking any proper food?
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please upload CT/MRI.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for being on healthcaremagic.com.
I am Dr.Ajay Panwar,a neurologist,here to answer your query.

Ventriculomegaly can be due to disease or can be normally present at times.Please tell me your symptoms and upload your CT/MRI report or film so that I can answer this appropriately.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Ajay Panwar 10 hours later
My friend is in 7th month of pregnancy.Her babys ventricle size is 15.4 for 1 side and for other side its 10.4 . So i dont have the scan results with me.Doctor told that baby would require brain surgery depending on its symptoms once born.So my doubt is how this can be prevented from occuring?Any type of food,proper care or any medications can prevent this ? what are the things to be taken care for avoiding this.Im also trying for pregancy.
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It depends on the cause and symptoms.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for being in follow-up.

The little information you have provided above is grossly insufficient to make any predictions here. There can be several causes of ventriculomegaly. Developmental brain disorders are a concern here.I would like to see the report so that I can further help you in this regard. Atleast,try to upload the documents/doctor's reports.

I shall be glad to have you in follow-up.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Ajay Panwar 41 minutes later
Actually,the mentioned issue is for my friends foetus. Its not possible to get her scan results.
Let me brief my question. Do i need to consult a doctor before getting pregnant? If so how many months prior to planned pregancy, i need to talk to a doctor? My friend consulted doctor only after 1 and half months of her pregnancy and she started taking folic acid/other tablets after that. Brain development issue is for her baby.I heard that foetus brain will start developing in the first month itself. Is it due to inadequate nutrients that caused the issue?
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Folic acid tablets are of course, mandatory.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for being in follow-up and clearly defining your query.

Of course, in this case lack of folic acid supplementation appears to be the cause of maldevelopment. Development starts right from the first day.Lack of Folic acid supplementation may cause developmental brain and spinal defects.Folic acid is mandatory right from the first day.

You must consult an obstetrician right after getting pregnant or before planning.

Hope that helps.If you have any further questions,I shall be glad to have you in follow-up else please close the thread,rate it and write a review.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj