What causes variance in sperm motility?

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Tue, 9 Jun 2015 in Men's Health
Question: My Sperm motility is at 45%, 55% and 50%. This was over a period of one year with a gap of 3 months each. The problem is the motility keeps varying with every lab and every sample. Also infertility specialist observation is that second sample ( i.e post first sample 24 hrs later) the motility falls down to 30% or so. We have tried 2 IUIs but unsuccessful. What are my possible options ? Today I changed the consultant and went for XXXXXXX person and I was put on Fertisure M and Barkeit, and was told we can do a 3rd IUI. I am hoping against hope that anything would change since we have trying to have kids for close to 18 months now.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Multiple options are available. Inexpensive yet effective methods available

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through the details and understand your concerns. The main issue with IUI is the failure rate. The problem is much more with persons in whom the sperm motility or the overall sperm health is relatively low. I would not suggest repeated trials of IUI. The next step would be IVF and the even further step is ICSI. But before you go into repeated failures of IUI or try the more costly counterparts like IVF and ICSI, I would suggest you to take one tablet of folic acid (folvite) 5mg once daily and some zinc supplement (60mg per day) like Cobadex CZS taken once daily for 6 months. Research has demonstrated benefits with these and a search of scientific literature will confirm the same. Fertisure M contains lycopene which is an antioxidant but there is no proof that it actually works. Bakeit (Guaifenesin) in unrelated and is not likely to benefit.

Please look up the following:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/0000

Rather than the suffering from frustration of failure of the attempts, this inexpensive method is perhaps worth a try.

Dr. Kunal Saha
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj