What causes vaginal spotting during pregnancy?

Dr. Richa Agarwal

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 17 Apr 2018 in Pregnancy
Question: My Wife is 11 weeks pregnant.She is getting Spotting intermittently.wanted to confirm if this is bad sign for pregnancy?.
Also wanted to check usually during pregnancy is it safe to do NT scan. since radiations might be harmful for Baby.Is it preferred to do NT scan during First Trimester?
Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Could it be due to hormonal imbalance.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting hcm about your health care.
I have gone through your history and understand your concerns.
Spotting during first trimester of pregnancy is usually due to hormonal imbalance.
If spotting is associated with any pain,than it needs to be investigated.
You should go for NT scan because it is not harmful for your baby.
Hope found useful, feel free to ask more information.
Good luck.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Richa Agarwal 8 hours later
Thanks for the information.
Intermittently she would be getting pain in stomach.We Would do NT scan as suggested by You and would share the report.
Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It could be a normal finding.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,
As she is having mild abdominal pain, it is considered normal variations during pregnancy.
Yaa,I will wait for your NT report.
Good luck.
Follow up: Dr. Richa Agarwal 39 hours later
Thanks for the information.Please find the NT scan report attached and give inpt for te same.
What is the normal/preferred baby weight for first Trimester.?
and when should be next scan that we should perform ?
Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Your NT report is normal.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,
Thanks for sending me your reports.
Your NT scan report is normal.
In first trimester pregnancy baby weight is around 14 kg( in your case twin pregnancy, so it is distributed between two).
You have to go for 2 nd level ultrasound at 19-24weeks of pregnancy.
Hope found useful.
Good luck.