Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

175 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

What causes vaginal spotting between periods?

Answered by
Dr. Vidya KR

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2011

Answered : 1561 Questions

Posted on Fri, 8 Aug 2014 in Women's Health
Question: i am 29 yr old womenand i have been spotting but i am not on my period. last .time i had my cycle was on july 8 and i have a regular cycle. this will be the second time i am spotting after a week my cycle was done and i am worry of what it can be. i am attaching a pic of my undie so that you can see what i mean. it dont hrt at all but i am worry cause its the second day with spotting. plese lrt me know what it can be?. last time it looks like i have my period which my period was done.
Answered by Dr. Vidya KR 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hormonal imbalance or fibroid

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I went through your query and understood your concerns.

One of the reason would be ovulation bleeding which lasts for maximum 2 days, which will be minimal.
Mid cycle bleed for more than 2 days need to be evaluated. Some of the most common reasons for prolonged ovulation bleeding at your age are hormonal imbalance, mixed vaginal infections and uterine problem(fibroids or Polyps).

For you since it is seen from last two cycles with no other associated problem, this may be due to hormonal imbalance. This can occur due to stress, acute illness or due to ovarian problem.

If it is prolonged with severe bleeding or if prolonged bleeding repeats again then you may require evaluation for it using Ultrasound scan of abdomen and pelvis, Thyroid profile and speculum examination. Consult your doctor for examination once and its further management.

Hope I answered your question. Feel free to ask me if you have any further queries or doubts and I shall be glad to help you out. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Stress

doctor1 MD

hi. Im a 28 yr old student. Over the last month I have been tired all the time, I forget regular bits of information like the date, and have had several incidents of bed wetting in the last 2 weeks. Could this be due to the stress of my up coming exams?

doctor1 MD

does vyvanse or acutane have a connection to psoriasis. I have this theory that acutane caused my psoriasis and vyvanse keeps it under control but when i stop that anxiety is worse and could cause the stress level to go up. Also, I drink alcohol and love spicy foods

doctor1 MD

hi, my newly born baby have fast heart beat and admitted in a nursery as per doctors there is any thing dangerous ?? am very worried.... and they also said his reports are fit.... but he has minute blood infection... that not diagnosed yet please tell is it worrying? he ill be al right?

doctor1 MD

I was recently told I have empty sella found on a MRI. Also found low testosterone. I feel very fatiuged and can't handle stress very well. This has been going on for 3 to 5 years. Could I have a pituitary problem affecting other hormones such as cortisol. Thanks Jim C.

doctor1 MD

Hi Doctor, I want to improve my brain performance, so visited Ayurvedic doctor to take the swarna bhasma,i am little obese and having snoring problem, so doctor has prescribed varanadi kashayam. Apart from this, i have short temper problem, so...

doctor1 MD

hi i m facing sleep disturbance since last 8 years i feel too much pressure over and behing myleft ears may be it leads to stress and breaks my sleep after i sleep abnormal feeling on left while yawning too much tightness on left ear and...

doctor1 MD

I have low body temperature, and am concerned that my thyroid may be not working optimally. My TSH is 4.13. If I reduce the stress in my life, will my thyroid bounce back ?