What causes vaginal spotting between periods?

Dr. Vidya KR

Posted on Fri, 8 Aug 2014 in Women's Health
Question: i am 29 yr old womenand i have been spotting but i am not on my period. last .time i had my cycle was on july 8 and i have a regular cycle. this will be the second time i am spotting after a week my cycle was done and i am worry of what it can be. i am attaching a pic of my undie so that you can see what i mean. it dont hrt at all but i am worry cause its the second day with spotting. plese lrt me know what it can be?. last time it looks like i have my period which my period was done.
Answered by Dr. Vidya KR 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hormonal imbalance or fibroid

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I went through your query and understood your concerns.

One of the reason would be ovulation bleeding which lasts for maximum 2 days, which will be minimal.
Mid cycle bleed for more than 2 days need to be evaluated. Some of the most common reasons for prolonged ovulation bleeding at your age are hormonal imbalance, mixed vaginal infections and uterine problem(fibroids or Polyps).

For you since it is seen from last two cycles with no other associated problem, this may be due to hormonal imbalance. This can occur due to stress, acute illness or due to ovarian problem.

If it is prolonged with severe bleeding or if prolonged bleeding repeats again then you may require evaluation for it using Ultrasound scan of abdomen and pelvis, Thyroid profile and speculum examination. Consult your doctor for examination once and its further management.

Hope I answered your question. Feel free to ask me if you have any further queries or doubts and I shall be glad to help you out. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D