What causes vaginal spotting after receiving epidural steroid injection?

Posted on Tue, 29 Sep 2015 in Women's Health
Question: I had an epidural steroid injection August 19th I'm 69 years old and then began to have very very light vaginal spotting I believe this may be due to the ESI what is your opinion
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
YEs, ESI is the most probable reason.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for writing to us with your health concern.
Yes, the ESI might have caused this.
It will stop in a few days at the most, if this is the case.
It it persists, or recurs, you need to see a Specialist OB - GYN.
The commonest reason for this at your age is atrophic vaginitis.
Due to menopause, and lack of estrogen, the local vaginal tissues become dry and atrophic and fragile and can easily break and cause spotting / bleeding.
The condition is treated with local estrogen gel and lubrication if sexually active.
Have you ever had any post menopausal spotting / bleeding ?
When was your last Pap smear ?
Looking forward to hearing from you.
All the best.
please feel free to discuss further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Dr. Aarti Abraham

OBGYN