What causes vaginal spotting after a hysterectomy?

Dr. B. Radhakrishnan. Nair

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 22 Aug 2016 in Women's Health
Question: I am a 56 year old woman, I had a hysterectomy my ovaries removed about 20 years ago, I quit taking my hormone pills, about 3 weeks ago, But noticed today when I went to the bathroom I had blood on the toilet paper.

Answered by Dr. B. Radhakrishnan. Nair 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Spotting

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Greetings
If you had undergone total hystrectomy and spotting now after 20 years, it is better to go for gynaec check up,esply a speculam examination to rule out any abnormalities inside vagina..
Because there is nothing else to cause bleeding.If it was subtotal hystrectomy then it can be from cervix.
So I suggest you to get it evaluated. Hope my answer helps you. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj
Follow up: Dr. B. Radhakrishnan. Nair 4 minutes later
Could you tell me what the problem could be to my cervix?
Answered by Dr. B. Radhakrishnan. Nair 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Spotting

Detailed Answer:
Hi
If your hystrectomy was subtotal meaning cervix was not removed then spoting can be from cervix.It can be due to erosion or infection.
But usually in hystrectomy cervix is removed with uterus.
It can be confirmed by per speculam examination only.
Hope you are convinced. Feel free to ask your doubts with more details. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng