What causes vaginal pain during intercourse?
Details are given below.
Thanks for writing to us.
Sexual intercourse may be painful due to intact hymen (a thin tissue membrane that partially blocks the vaginal opening) Or, she wasn't sufficiently aroused.
When she will arouse or excite, the vaginal canal lengthens & expands so that you can enter your penis and she will produce vaginal lubrication (to prevent uncomfortable friction from thrusting).
It is also possible that she was just nervous during sex time which may cause her vaginal muscles to tighten, making penetration more difficult and painful.
Steps to be done for easy and smooth sexual intercourse:
1) Next time, you must indulge in lots of foreplay to arouse her in top level to increase her vaginal lubrication before penetration.
2) She would be in more relaxed state and both of you will create a romantic environment so that she can focus and enjoy her sex.
3) It will also help if you add water-based lube (like KY gel/ VAGISIL etc) to her vagina for easier penetration. Make it a part of preplay by having you lube her, then return the favor and ask her to apply it on condom-covered erected penis right before you enter her.
4) It's important that you must communicate to her what feels good and what doesn't. You can let her know what she needs by saying like a little slower or harder or just like that and so on.
5) Also, you can try a woman-on-top position, which will put her in control of the depth and rhythm. Once you get used to the ins and outs of sex, it should be a lot more comfortable and fun.
Last thing, if pain during sexual intercourse (Dyspareunia) continues, she needs to undergo some basic investigation under the guidance of Gynecologist to rule out pelvic organic disease like endometriosis, vaginal septa, hypoplasia of introitus, ovarian cyst, vaginal or pelvic infection etc.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be happy to help.
Wish your good health and take care.
For future query, you can directly approach me through
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What is the reason for severe vaginal pain during intercourse
- What causes puffy clitoris and pain during intercourse
- Does cervical erosion cause pain during intercourse
- Vaginal burning and pain during intercourse
- What is the cause and treatment for pain during intercourse
- Pain during intercourse causes
- Experiencing vaginal pain during intercourse suggest a vaginal numbing ointment
- Vaginal pain during intercourse what treatment should be done
- What causes pain during intercourse in pregnancy
- Pain during intercourse after changing iud cause