What causes vaginal dryness?

Dr. Deepti Verma

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine

Posted on Fri, 4 Sep 2015 in General Health
Question: I started experiencing vaginal dryness for the first time at 28 (alone or with a partner). I do not have a yeast infection, and my estrogen level (measured recently on day 25 of my 30 day cycle) is 208PG/ML. The reference range for the test is (1-10 Days: 61 - 394, 11-20 Days: 122 - 437, 21-30 Days: 156 - 350). Could estrogen on the lower end of the reference range be the culprit? If not, what other causes can I look into? The same test revealed a progesterone level of 112NG/DL (reference for luteal phase is 35-290), and free serum testosterone of 2.2 (reference range is 0 to 4.2), and FSH of 3.2 MIU/ML (reference range for luteal phase is 1.9 to 10).
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Rule out all vaginal infections

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear, I have gone through your question and understand your concerns. Vaginal dryness can be due to vaginal infection, either bacterial, fungal or bacterial vaginosis.You need to get a vaginal swab examination done to rule out these infections.
Your hormonal profile is completely normal, including estrogen which is in the range.
If the vaginal infection is not there, then you can use KY jelly during intercourse.
Hope you found the answer helpful. Please do get back for further queries.
Dr Deepti Verma