What causes vaginal dryness?

Dr. Kruti

Dermatologist

Posted on Wed, 28 May 2014 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: I am female and my male sexual partner has experience burning sensation to his penis twice now in the. past. one year with some white discharge that resolves on its own. We have both seen our MD and have tested negative for STI's and HIV/AIDS both times. We are monogamous partners. We both have concerns when this happens. Could my vaginal secretions be the culprit? I am 42 post a supracervical hysterectomy. I experience frequent vaginal dryness. He is 52 and has an enlarged prostate with some erectile dysfunction..
Answered by Dr. Kruti 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
candidial balanitis

Detailed Answer:
Hello

I can understand your concern.

From the history you have provided, it seems to be a case of yeast infection that he has. Due to the vaginal dryness that you have, during a sexual intercourse there is no lubrication and hence the friction caused as a result of it , gives rise to micro abrasions which allow an easy access for the yeast or candida as we call it , to gain an entry and cause infection. Secondly, you may be also having yeast infection which is being transmitted to him too.

I would recommend that both of you take an oral antifungal tablet called fluconazole once a week for two weeks.

It will require a prescription from your doctor.

Your husband can apply clotrimazole cream on the affected area twice a day for two weeks.

This will help resolve the discharge and will also take care of the burning that he has been experiencing.

Please let me know if you have any queries.