What causes vaginal burning?

Dr. Som Biswas

OBGYN

Posted on Fri, 22 Aug 2014 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Question: I have had vaginal burning on the external skins for a month. I have seen a couple doctors. One said its irritation from some product I use like soap or detergents. Another doctor said bacterial vaginosis. I finished my medicine last night for the bv and still have the burning. Almost like the medicine did nothing. What do u think is the most likely cause for my problem? Also if it is burning due to irritants how long will it take to go away after discontinuing the product?
Answered by Dr. Som Biswas 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hi

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query. I can understand your concerns.

Vaginal burning can have a lot of causes like irritating substances to urinary tract infection.

We have to find the exact cause.

Can you upload a picture of the place so that I will have a better idea about what exactly it is.

Dr. Som MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Follow up: Dr. Som Biswas 9 hours later
No I'm not putting a picture of my private online. I will go see another gynecologist. You never did answer how long it would take for the skin to heal if its being irritated by a product and that product is stopped being used. In other words if I stopped using the product today how long would it take for the burning to go away? My urine sample was normal.
Answered by Dr. Som Biswas 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Sure

Detailed Answer:
Dear      XXXXXX,

Sure, you have the full right to NOT put up a picture online.

Yes, it will be good if you show a gynecologist.

It can take a week to 10 days for the area to heal depending on the product chemical used.

Dr. Som MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj