Owl Image

What causes vaginal bleeding with abdominal pain?

Question
I've been having light vaginal bleeding for almost a year now with abdominal pain, heavy bleeding after sex, lower back pain, and discolored stools. I've had an abdominal ct with contrast and came back normal. All blood work normal, all STD test came back negative. I'm scared to have intercourse with spouse cause I began to bleed heavily. My question is if this normal for a 29 year old. My doctor says there is nothing wrong. But I'm concerned cause of the frequent bleeding. I stop what seems like spotting maybe two days a month and then it starts back up. Should I be concerned? And if so can this serious? What type of specialist should I seek?
Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Its most likely dysfunctional uterine bleeding

Detailed Answer:
hello and welcome,

I have read your history carefully.

The first thing to rule out in abnormal bleeding is pregnancy, get a pregnancy test done. if negative then anatomical abnormalities should be looked for via
SALINE SONOGRAM
ENDOMETRIAL SAMPLING
HYSTEROSCOPY

If still no cause is detected then DUB (dysfunctional uterine bleeding ) mainly due to failure to ovulate should be considered managed by either
Cyclic progestins from day 14 to 25
or
Daily oral contraceptive pills.

Correctable causes of anovulation may also be evaluated CHECKED VIA PROLACTIN, TSH LEVELS. Cases that fail hormonal therapy may require endometrial ablation or hysterectomy.

It's most likely due to irregular menstrual cycle and hormonal therapy will be required. So be positive and stay relaxed as most likely it wont be a very serious problem. You asked about the appropriate specialist for you and I would recommend a Gynecologist for your problem.

Let me know if you have any query.
have a nice day.
thanks.

Follow-up: What causes vaginal bleeding with abdominal pain? 11 hours later
Had an septum removed in 04 after a losing the baby due to premature labor when I was 23 weeks. It separated my uterus in half. Could my uterine bleeding be caused by this? I could not possibly pregnant as my husband has had a vasectomy 11 years ago.

Brief Answer:
No,septate uterus surgery isnt the cause.

Detailed Answer:

Post operative complications of SEPTATE uterus surgery is mostly pelvic adhesions , so ,NO , it is not responsible for your uterine bleeding symptoms, especially as the procedure was done in 2004.

The fact that your husband has had a vasectomy, means there is very little chance of pregnancy.

I would advise you to go for saline sonogram , endometrial sampling in consultation with a gynecologist to better isolate the cause for your bleeding.

Hope this helps.
Have a very nice day.
Thanks.