What causes vaginal bleeding post pap smear test?

OBGYN
Question

I got a pap smear done yesterday. This morning I had some light bleeding and by night it got a bit heavier and is red in color. I also feel sore and cramping on my right side almost like i can feel where they scraped me during the pap smear. I am very irregular but my periods have been pretty regular for the past 3 months since i got on a healthier regime. I am not due for a period for another two weeks. Is this my period or is this blood due to the pap smear. I am so confused and should I be worried
Posted Sat, 16 Aug 2014 in Menstruation and Miscarriage

Answered by Dr. Soumya 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Pap smear

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Welcome to healthcare magic.

The pap smear is taken using a spatula and a brush.

The mucosal lining is scraped from outer part of cervix as well as inner part of cervix called mucosa.

These parts contain lot of blood vessels just beneath surface. So when scraped they cause bleeding.

This is the reason you had fresh red blood. Today and tomorrow also there could be spotting.

This is not your period.

Dont worry about it.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Dr. Soumya