What causes vaginal bleeding post IUD removal?

Posted on Tue, 16 Jun 2015 in Birth Control
Question: I just had a XXXXXXX IUD removed a few days ago. It has been only a week since my last period ended and I am suddenly bleeding again rather heavily and with large clots. My cycles have always been normal and I had to have XXXXXXX removed because I am to hormone sensitive to use it. Is it normal for this to happen after the stop of something with hormones?
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Normal bleeding after XXXXXXX IUD removal; detailed below...

Detailed Answer:
Hi my dear,

I understand your concerns.
XXXXXXX IUD contains a hormone called levonorgestrel, and gradually releases it.

There is an usual bleeding after removing IUD for the first month; that's why you are having a heavy and clogged bleeding.

Usually, the IUD is removed the 2nd day of menstruation to avoid such bleeding. However, as your periods ended 1 week ago, it means that the actual bleeding is due to IUD removal and possible hormonal changes which is normal when using XXXXXXX IUD (hormone IUD).

If the bleeding just started, I advise to wait for a few more days. If won't stop, then, consult with your gynecologist about using tranexamic acid to stop bleeding.

Hope it was of help!
Dr.Albana

Dr. Albana Sejdini