What causes vaginal bleeding inspite of being on Nexplanon?

Dr. Madhuri N Bagde

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Women's Health
Question: Could i have a std or be possibly pregnant im on nexplanon and have been bleeding on and off for 7 months is that normal...frequent urination, brown discharge, itching
Answered by Dr. Madhuri N Bagde 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Symptoms most likely due to implant

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

Please do not worry at all.

The symptoms that you are experiencing are most likely due to nexplanon. The failure rate of nexplanon is very low. 1 in 1000 women using it may get pregnant despite use. So if you are in doubt and are in too much stress regarding pregnancy, get a urine pregnancy test done. If it is negative then pregnancy is ruled out.

Nexplanon contains the hormone progesterone that is normally raised during pregnancy. So it causes symptoms similar to pregnancy. Irregular bleed are very common and a few women also experience absent menses. Brown discharge is also common.

However itching and frequent urination are not associated with nexplanon. These may be due a vaginal infection or a urine infection or both. Vaginal infection causes a discharge in most cases. It is usually white and curdy or yellowish. Brown discharge is less common and may be caused by infection of the cervix. But in your case it is most likely the nexplanon causing it rather than infection as it is known to cause such discharge.

So please drink plenty of water and keep the perineal area clean. Do not use too much soap as it also causes itching and predisposes to infection by altering the normal flora. Use mild wipes twice daily [ but clean the area properly] and change the undergarments twice daily and wash them with hot water.

If the symptoms persist despite these measures then a vaginal examination and urine examination will be needed to look for infection. Proper antibiotics will help in cure.

Hope this satisfies your query.
Thanks for using HCM.     
Feel free to ask any more questions that you may have.
Dr Madhuri Bagde
Consultant Obstetrician and Gynecologist