What causes vaginal bleeding in a patient with severe cough?

Posted on Mon, 15 Jun 2015 in Women's Health
Question: I had a bad cold with cough for few days. During the last two days when cough was almost continuous I had bladder leakage during coughing. Today I had vaginal bleeding. I am post menopausal. My cough is much better today but I have small amount of bleeding (pink tinged). Could this be something other than cancer? I do not think the blood is in my urine. also feel pressure in lower abdomen. I want to know if this bleeding could be harmless and due to severe cough.
Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
post menopausal bleeding

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the query to healthcare magic,
As you have been suffering from cough, the bladder leakage can be explained due to probable STRESS INCONTINENCE typical senator increased intra-abdominal pressure as it occurs during cough. That can be evaluated by the physician with a Q-tip test and a cough test and also can be easily corrected by a TVT-O surgical placement.
The concern however is the bleeding per vaginum which in a post menopausal lady should not occur and definitely cough per se doesn't induce vaginal or uterine bleeding unless there has been a hyperplasic endometrium which got shed and is still continuing. It is important that you should get a transvaginal ultrasound done and check for endometrial thickness, which if more than 3mm , you should opt for an endometrial biopsy for histopathological examination to rule out hyperplasia and atypia which can indicate a start of endometrial cancer and may require a hysterectomy for the same.
So , please schedule a visit with your physician for a detailed gynecolgical examination,
Dr. Sameer Kumar

OB and GYN Specialist