What causes vaginal bleeding and abdominal cramps during 4th week of pregnancy?

Dr. Jacqueline Brown

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 31 Aug 2016 in Women's Health
Question: Im 4 weeks along and have been having terrible cramps and now started bleeding like my regular period today. What does it mean?
Answered by Dr. Jacqueline Brown 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Bleeding in pregnancy can be normal, but can also be a sign of miscarriage

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and I hope I can help you today.

Fifteen percent of women have some bleeding in the first trimester of pregnancy, but having painful cramps with bleeding can be the symptoms of an early miscarriage. One in 10 pregnancies will miscarry, and the percentage increases to one in seven pregnancies if you are over 35 years old.

In order to make an accurate diagnosis, you need to see a doctor and have an ultrasound performed to check on the pregnancy, as well as a blood test to check the levels of pregnancy hormone in your body. In a healthy pregnancy, the hormone level should double every 48 hours or so, so repeating the hormone level after two days can determine if the pregnancy is developing normally.

Nothing can be done to change the outcome of a pregnancy if it is not developing properly or prevent a miscarriage. Greater than 99 percent of miscarried pregnancies are genetically abnormal, and loosing the pregnancy early is the body's own way of preventing continued growth of a pregnancy that can never produce a healthy child.

So in summary, I recommend you see a physician (preferably an OBGYN) who can make an accurate diagnosis for you and recommend proper treatment. There is still a possibility that you could develop a normal pregnancy, but you need a medical evaluation to determine the best course of action.

If you begin to bleed bright red blood and you soak through more than one pad an hour, or if your abdominal pain becomes severe, you should go to a local hospital or emergency room for evaluation.

I hope you feel better and that I was able to answer your query effectively. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

I wish you the best of luck for the rest of the pregnancy,

Dr. Brown
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Jacqueline Brown 21 minutes later
Its bright red but its not super heavy. It stops and starts but I just had a large blood clot pass so does tha mean its a miscarriage? XXXX
Answered by Dr. Jacqueline Brown 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
There is no way to know without an ultrasound and a pregnancy hormone level

Detailed Answer:
Hello again, and I hope I can clarify the situation more for you.

In order to know for sure whether you are having a miscarriage or not, you need to be seen by a healthcare provider and have an ultrasound and a measurement of your pregnancy hormone level, as I mentioned in my initial correspondence with you. Granted, it is not a positive sign that you are passing clots and that the blood is bright red, which means it is fresh, but there is still a chance that the pregnancy could be viable.

Given how much you are bleeding at this point, I would recommend that you consider going to an emergency room for evaluation. You should be able to get the necessary tests on an urgent basis there.

I hope you are able to get an appropriate medical evaluation soon and that your results are favorable,

Dr. Brown.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D