What causes vaginal bleeding after taking Postinor-2?

Posted on Wed, 24 Jun 2015 in Birth Control
Question: I had sex on the 10 of may 2015 the same day my period ended not very sure if he ejaculated inside of me so i took postinor 2 later that day, and on 20 of may 2015 i had unprotected sex and took postinor 2 within 24 hours i noticed i was bleeding on the 26 of may 2015 should i be worried?is it posible that am pregnant?
Answered by Dr. Nishikant Shrotri 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Unnecessary Stress

Detailed Answer:
On the first incidence, you had sex on the day when you ended your menstruation. This must be your 4th to 7th day. Usually, on these days the egg is not released and hence there is no chance of pregnancy due to this intercourse.
The second intercourse you had was on 15th to 17th day of the menses. This is a highly fertile period. The egg release is usually 14 days prior to the next expected menses. If the cycle is of 28 days, it comes to 14th day. Thus this is a fertile window of your cycle, having most chances of the pregnancy. However, you have bleeding on 26th. You cannot have bleeding in the normal pregnancy.
Above all, you have taken Postinor on both occasions within 24 hours of the unprotected intercourse. This medicine is a very potent and effective birth control medicine. Again, the chances of pregnancy less than 1%.
All the three facts put together, I would not suspect you to be pregnant. To confirm this, you got menses on 26th of May.
Agreed this bleeding is a bit earlier however, it could be so due to the withdrawal effect of the hormones present in the Postinor.
I do not think there is any reason to worry about the pregnancy for you.
Still if you want the confirmation, wait for about a week to 10 days after the date of your expected menses and get urine pregnancy test and/or ultrasonography done. Tests done earlier are not reliable earlier unless it is beta hCG test.
However, I would advise you to regularly use reliable birth control methods like birth control pills or condom (male or female) to avoid such stressful situations in life. Stress also can delay the menses.
I hope your doubts are cleared. If you want to know any further information and/or advice, you may ask me follow up question.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Dr. Nishikant Shrotri

OBGYN