Owl Image

What causes vaginal bleeding after sexual intercourse?

Excellent

Nephrologist
Question
I am a 60 year old post menopausal woman that has been celibate for 16 years. I recently became active twice and both times I had red blood after intercourse. Will this continue ? Is this normal given circumstances.
Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Post coital bleeding

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for the query

The bleeding which has occurred after sexual intercourse is most likely due to trauma. Since you have been celibate for a very long time the sexual intercourse would have caused local trauma resulting in bleeding. However please screen yourself for cervical cancer if this continues. I advice you to use a lubricant the next time you engage in sexual intercourse

I hope I was of help
If you have any further queries please get back to me

I wish you good health

Follow-up: What causes vaginal bleeding after sexual intercourse? 9 minutes later
This answer makes sense to me.

I do become lubricated and aroused, i have not been able to fully obtain orgasm - I suspect the trauma is deeper since it (the blood) is not immediately obvious. Is it safe to use a lubricant deeper than surface level?

How is it best to move ahead - I have a lovely sensative partner -Is there a recommended interval to have intercourse with this scenario

Will this resolve on its own as I become used to being sexually active.

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 23 hours later
Brief Answer:
Trauma

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for the query

I do'nt think it is necessary to apply a lubricant deeper than the surface level. After 3-4 times you should stop bleeding, the best predictor would be lesser and lesser bleeding each time after sexual intercourse.
There is no recommended interval in this scenario. I would recommend to avoid sexual intercourse if you are actively bleeding.
It should resolve on its own, if it does not please approach your Gynecologist as soon as possible.

Congratulations on finding yourself a nice and sensitive partner. I am happy for you. I hope you both have wonderful days ahead