What causes vaginal bleeding after intercourse?

Dr. Deepti Verma

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine

Posted on Thu, 4 May 2017 in General Health
Question: me and my girlfriend were virgins and we had sex and she bled a little and that was back in October and we have had a couple of times and she bleeds a little sometimes and it bleed a little and stops. she has no itching or pain and it looks normal no redness or anything. she's 17 and I'm 18 .
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Its normal

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
I have gone through your question and understand the concerns.

Slight bleeding after initial intercourse events after virginity is normal.
This is due to the breakage of hymen and slight injuries in the vaginal mucosa.
The bleeding recurs every time, if the intercourse occurs at an interval of 15-20 days or more.
There is absolutely nothing to worry if there are no other symptoms. Do let me know if there are any other symptoms.

Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr Deepti Verma
OBGYN
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Deepti Verma 18 minutes later
OK but we had sex yesterday and she bled a little but no pain or itch or redness is it the same thing?
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
Local lesions should be ruled out

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
Repeated bleeding after regular intercourse can also be due to local lesion in the cervix or vagina.
I will suggest her to get examined internally by an OBGYN specialist to rule out any such factor.
Dr Deepti Verma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng