Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
200 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

What causes vaginal bleeding after intercourse?

Answered by
Dr. S Patra

OB and GYN Specialist

Practicing since :2011

Answered : 4048 Questions

Posted on Fri, 24 Jun 2016 in Women Sexual Problems
Question: Just had intercourse and now I am bleeding and clotting for the last hour. I just finished my period 2 days ago, did I injury my cervix? laying flat seems to slowed but did not stop. been laying flat for last 30 min, Just jumped into the shower to rinse off and a blood clot the size of my hand came out. What should I do? is the closes ER is an hour away and I live in Mexico. Also in the past I was prone to clotting during my period, but never like this.
Answered by Dr. S Patra 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Go to the ER for vaginal examination and treatment.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us. Followings are my comments:

1) Mild to moderate bleeding during or after intercourse may be due to rough sex, blunt trauma inside vagina or cervical injury, vaginal dryness etc.

2) I suggest you to go to the ER for vaginal examination to rule out vaginal or cervical injury. Medicine like Tranexamic acid (500 mg) can be taken for 3 days to arrest bleeding temporarily. Maintain genital hygiene.

3) You should consult with gynecologist if bleeding continues more than 3 days. One ultrasound scan is advisable to detect uterine or cervical pathology like polyp or endometriosis etc. Do one pap smear test also.

Hope, I have answered your query. Wish your good health and take care.

For future query, you can directly approach me through
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. S Patra 35 minutes later
But why are there so many blot clots especially the very large one?
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Underlying pathology should be ruled out.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Dear,

Thanks for your follow-up query.

1) Heavy bleeding may sometimes expel as blood clots. We need to rule out underlying pathology like cervical injury, blunt trauma inside vagina, cervical polyp, fibroid etc.

2) I suggest you to consult with ER doctor for vaginal examination and undergo one ultrasound scan (if needed). Proper treatment can be done only after diagnosis of the case.

Hope, it helps for your information. Good luck and take care.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,  

Recent questions on  Vaginal dryness

doctor1 MD

I am 59, female, what can i do for vaginal dryness and odor?

doctor1 MD

Hello! I am a 61 year old female who is experiencing post-menopausal bleeding four years after menopause . I delivered two babies and then had my...

doctor1 MD

Great! I had a vagiocopoplexy done in 2012. A hysterectomy when I was 25. I am currently 62 years old. Yesterday when intimate with my husband I...

doctor1 MD

It's embarrassing i have not had sex about 2 1/2 years Due to The Vagina dryness which is very bad It feels if I did want sex even for the penis to...