What causes vaginal bleeding after intercourse?

Posted on Fri, 22 Jan 2016 in Women's Health
Question: My names XXXXXXX and last night I was having sex with my boyfriend when blood started pouring out of my vagina. Should I be worried?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It should not happen normally, but need more specifics.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
It is not normal for you to bleed heavily after sexual intercourse.
Occasionally, when sex is rough, you might experience a mild vaginal laceration, leading to a bleed.
Will you let me know a few more things ?
When was your last menstrual period ??
Are your cycles regular ?
Have you ever had such an experience earlier after intercourse ?
After how much time did the bleeding stop ?
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Follow up: Dr. Aarti Abraham 10 minutes later
My last period was 12/21 and ended 12/25. My cycles are regular. I've never experienced this before. The bleeding lasted 10-15 minutes of heavy bleeding. But I have light bleeding today.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No need to worry right now

Detailed Answer:
Okay
IT is very likely XXXXXXX that you have had a vaginal tear.
Since the bleeding has lightened, it wont need looking into most probably.
This is the most likely scenario.
However, if this recurs ( if you experience similar bleeding episodes post intercourse ), you need to have it looked into.
At times, a vaginal / cervical polyp or a cervical lesion can manifest as post coital bleeding.
My take on this -
NO need to worry right now.
Abstain from sex / fingering until the bleeding stops completely.
Consult a doctor if the bleeding persists beyond 5 days.
If it recurs, consult an OB - GYN and go for an internal exam, Pap smear and a pelvic ultrasound scan.
Hope this helps.
You can write in to me directly anytime, using the following link http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-aarti-abraham/64623
Dr. Aarti Abraham

OBGYN