Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
184 Doctors are Online

What causes vaginal and anal fissures?

Mar 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 1390 Questions
Im a 26 year old female and have had huge vaginal fissures that go from the inside out. I also get it even more frequently around the anus (1or2 smaller cuts, i only noticed this when wiping. Is this something i should be concerned about? Sometimes i am unable to have sex as it is very painful.
Posted Thu, 27 Feb 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Madhuri N Bagde 44 minutes later
Brief Answer: Do not worry as they will heal Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for using health care magic. It seems that you are having a tears or lacerations in the vagina and also get them around the anus. They usually occur from trauma due to any cause. The commonest cause is trauma during sex especially if the vagina is narrow. Anal fissure may also occur from passing hard stools. Your question does not mention if you have constipation or not. In any case, the treatment for vaginal fissures is to avoid sex until they are completely healed. Usually they are accompanied by infections. If you have a concomitant vaginal discharge, use of antifungal, antibacterial and steroid creams will help in early healing. If the tears are really deep than they may need suturing. For anal tears, Sitting in a basin of warm water containing few drops of mild antiseptic like savlon twice or thrice daily helps in early recovery. If you feel that they are occurring due to trauma during sex, I suggest you try changing the position during sex and use a lubricant cream to avoid excessive friction. You can also discuss this with your partner and go a bit slow so as to avoid injury. There is no need to worry as these are common complaints in our practice and are a part of active sexual life. Hope I was able to help you. Thanks for using XXXXXXX Please feel free to ask any further queries and I would be happy to help. Have a nice day. Dr. Madhuri Bagde Consultant Gynecologist.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor