What causes urine to appear foamy?

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Mon, 11 Feb 2019 in General Health
Question: I have bubbles or foam in my urine. What might that mean?
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
For how long has this been going on?

Detailed Answer:

Bubble in urine means there is air in it. This is often incidental unless it happens over and over. If this is a the first episode, I recommend that you monitor further to see if it occurs again.

Should it occur, then we will look at possible causes which include infection and possible communication between the intestines and the bladder. For this, we will start a simple urine test and findings would guide further evaluation.

Foamy urine, if not air bubbles, could represent an increased protein in your urine. This is not uncommon in diabetes and signals repercussions of diabetes on the kidneys. In either case, a urine analysis will provide valuable information to work on and make progress.

I hope this helps and guides. I wish you well.

Dr. Ivo Ditah, Internal Medicine Specialist