• question-icon

What causes urine odor and slight burning feeling during urination?

Posted on Mon, 23 Mar 2015 in Elderly Problems
Question: Urine odor. Cultures and glutose ( dip) tests all negative.slight burning. Bad reactions to MACROBID. Cipro reactions scares me. Any suggestions. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Considerations

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for the query,

Its possible you may have a bit of an infection going on - rare with a negative culture but still possible.

As far as antibiotics go, Cipro is commonly used and is very effective. I have not had any patients with significant or severe reactions to this medication and it is generally well tolerated. If you prefer an alternative you might talk again with your doctor but almost every medication will come with a list of potential side effects but in the case of cipro most patients tolerate it without a problem.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
you could also try septra

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for your question.
I agree with Dr. XXXXXXX that cipro is generally well tolerated, though if you are 85 years old you may want to take half strength doses. Septra is another medication that works well for urinary tract infections. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water and see your doctor for a prescription that is suitable for your age and other medical conditions.
Dr. Robinson
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Kathy Robinson 25 minutes later
if this is not a UTI sort of thing - what would be your thoughts? My diet has not changed and I've not eaten the usual suspects for urine odor Again thanks
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
interstitial cystitis

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for your follow up.
There is a condition called interstitial cystitis. It is an inflammatory condition in the bladder that can cause bladder pain and burning. Your doctor may need to refer you to a urologist to have this diagnosis confirmed or ruled out. Here is a link you can use to read about interstitial cystitis.

http://www.uptodate.com/contents/bladder-pain-syndrome-interstitial-cystitis-the-basics?source=search_result&search=interstitial+cystitis&selectedTitle=3~150

The odor of your urine can change based on food or how you are digesting your food. Try adding a probiotic daily and a multivitamin and the odor may change back to normal.
Dr. Robinson
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Pradeep Vitta
Dr. Kathy Robinson