Ask a Urologist   »  

What causes urine incontinence in menopause?

Question
I'm also worried about the incontinence I have since my menopause, what can you do. I'm embarrassed.
Posted Sun, 10 Aug 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please get evaluated; exercise helps.

Detailed Answer:

At menopause, the muscle tone of the pelvic floor weakens and the trauma of previous child birth can add to this and so is any other procedure. Prolapse of the vaginal walls is another feature that needs exclusion. Urinary infection is yet another possible cause predisposed by the thinning of the lining membranes subsequent to menopause.

In the current scenario, if you have stress incontinence, weakening of the pelvic floor should be suspected and if you have urge incontinence, urinary infection should be excluded. You can get this done by a simple clinical examination by a specialist and a urinalysis.

If urinary infection is the cause, appropriate treatment is sufficient to control the problem. If weakened pelvic floor is the cause, treatment can be medical or surgical. For simple weakness, Kegel's exercises are sufficient. For mild degrees of prolapse, pessaries can help while more severe degrees would need surgical correction.

Hope I have answered your query. Please feel free to contact for further clarifications. I will be happy to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.