What causes urinary retention?

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Wed, 21 Sep 2016 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question:

I feel that when I am done urinating I feel there is more in there potentially but I don't have to go anymore. I have checked for drainage or discharge and I don't see anything. I just want to make sure I do not have a std and potentially figure out whats going on.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Could be due to UTI

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for your query, based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have feeling of incomplete emptying of bladder and suspect it to be due to STD.

I shall be happy if you can post me few more details to help me in making comments on your problem:

1) Did you have unprotected sex with unknown female partner very recently?

Please get your routine urine analysis and urine culture sensitivity done to find out the organisms causing this infection and antibiotics to which they are sensitive to.

Please take broad spectrum antibiotics like CEFIXIME 200 mg twice daily along with urinary antiseptic like Nitrofurantoin 100 mg twice daily and urine alkalizer(Syp Potassium Citrate) 10 ml thrice daily. Later on switch on to appropriate antibiotics as per culture report.

You need to get the prescription of medicines from your family Physician.

Ensure to drink more water, to keep your urine diluted which will help to control dysuria(painful micturition, if any).

Hope I have answered your query, please feel free to ask if you have more questions , I shall be happy to help you .

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee