Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

139 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

What causes urinary incontinence?

Answered by
Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2011

Answered : 1754 Questions

Posted on Sun, 3 Jun 2018 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Hey doctor,

For the last 2 or 3 weeks now I have been having this problem where i'd go the toilet to pee and then once I finish up a couple of minutes later more pee would come out in and i'd wet my underpants without me even doing anything. It's become quite annoying as I am wetting my underpants and i'd then have to change them. Now it doesn't happen every single time I pee but it does happen a couple times a day.

When I was younger as a kid I remember I used to have problems urinating and i'd always hold it in it was more of mental thing with anxiety at the time and I am unsure if that has had some effect as I have grown up. I always have had the problem where i'd have to wait a bit for my pee to come out it's never instant and never has been but the whole thing with the pee coming out afterwards is new to me I am a bit of an anxious person with health anxiety and am constantly hyped on adrenaline which I am trying to fix along with problems with my stomach, is this also something I should worry about and get checked out by my doctor?

I also work in a very lively and fast paced environment as a videographer, but nothing hasn't changed in the last 2-3 weeks so I am unsure why this is happening if it's maybe a build up of anxiety causing the pelvic muscles to weaken and not hold my pee?
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need urinalysis, micturating urogram, and urologist review

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to Healthcaremagic. Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in the best way possible. First of all, it's sad to know what you had been going through lately.

I've reviewed the attached reports and the history you have shared. It's good that your ultrasound report is normal and shows no gross structural deformity.

However, with current symptoms, any underlying urethral valve or stricture or vesicoureteral reflux should be ruled out.

You will need close follow up with the urologist as well as baseline workup like renal function tests as well as a urinalysis. However, for other possibilities, micturating urogram may be needed.

Meanwhile avoid diuretics like coffee or tea or too many soda drinks and avoiding more water intake after dinner or before sleep is better.

Wishing you a speedy recovery. Hope this has answered your query.
If you have any more questions please feel free to ask.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 6 hours later
I have already done urine test which came out clear and I actually had one of those micturating urogram when I was a kid and it came up fine so I am unsure if it’s worth redoing? Is there anything I can take to help stop the urgency as well when I have to pee would buscopan help? Also could this be caused by anxiety or excessive masterbation and if so should I maybe stop for now?
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Using oxybutanyn after discussing with urologist may help

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Thanks for the feedback. It's good that urogram and other work up was normal but since it was in childhood it may needs to be repeated. Yes it can be triggered by anxiety but before that any structural or physical cause should be ruled out so a detailed follow up with urologist is unavoidable as such symptoms can be early signs of kidney diseases or may lead to kidney damage so shouldnt be ignored. Instead of buscopan, drugs like oxybutanyn or solifenancin can be helpful but should only be used once urologist examination is done. Masturbation may not directly cause it unless there is any stricture or structural deformity which is triggered by it. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on